ILA Leadership Development Member Interest Group: Exploring, Energizing, and Enhancing Leadership Development Across the Globe
Thank you for your interest in the ILA Leadership Development Member Interest Group (LDMIG). We are happy to report that this has been a fruitful year for this member interest group. The following is a summary of the LDMIG initiatives undertaken:
- We launched the LDMIG Executive Committee.
- Chair Elect, Jan Cardwell, hosted two leadership development webinars, Culturally Brilliant Leadership and The Power of Perception: Leadership, Emotional Intelligence, and Gender.
- We have scheduled a third webinar in December titled Practicing Healthy Leadership.
- We conducted a survey of the Leadership Development Member Interest Group community.
- We formed three LDMIG Sub-Committees to create more opportunities for involvement.
LDMIG Executive Committee
Reneé R. Green – LD MIG Chair: Executive Coach & Program Chair, University of Phoenix Honolulu
Jan Cardwell – LD MIG Chair Elect: Vice President & Director, University of Phoenix Detroit
Linda Pallone – LD MIG Immediate Past Chair: Founder & Executive Director, E4Leaders International
Erik Bean – Associate University Research Chair, University of Phoenix
Tom Sechrest – Director, St. Edward's University
Kevin Bottomley – Lead Faculty Area Chair for Research, University of Phoenix
Ted Thomas – Director & Professor, United States Army Command and General Staff College
Note: We are looking to add more members to the LDMIG Executive Committee.
Please contact us to volunteer or connect with us at the 20th Anniversary Global Conference in West Palm Beach next week by visiting our Information Table or Roundtable Discussion (Leadership Development – Past, Present, and Future) from 16.45-18.15 on Thursday or participating in our LDMIG Meeting from 8:00-8.45 on Friday.
LDMIG Survey Results
Thank you to all who participated in the Leadership Development Member Interest Group survey. Your feedback helps us to understand and plan for how we can add more value to your membership. Here is a general summary of the information you shared.
Our LDMIG Demographics:
- 48% affiliated with the LDMIG for 2 years or less
- 52% affiliated with LDMIG for 3 years or more
- 67% work in higher education
- 11% are consultants or coaches
- 8% work in corporations/business
- 14% are spread across K-12, Faith based, Government, Military, Healthcare, Student, or Other
Our LDMIG Professional Development Interests: When members were asked to rank how the LDMIG can support their work as a Leadership Development Professional, the top responses included:
- Sharing resources on leadership development.
- Providing access to research or scholarship opportunities.
- Hosting networking events at ILA conferences.
- Initiating online discussion groups on leadership development.
Our LDMIG Volunteer Interests:
- 67% want to review conference submissions as a peer reviewer.
- Other volunteer interests include: writing or sharing content (articles, podcast, blogs) on Leadership Development, serving on a LDMIG sub-committee, or organizing events for the LDMIG at the ILA conferences.
Our LDMIG Research Interests (stand-alone question):
- 61% of us are interested in joining a Leadership Development Research team.
Based on your feedback we are launching the following LDMIG Sub-Committees.
1. Conference Program Subcommittee
This subcommittee will work with the LDMIG Chair to pull together a compelling program of accepted LDMIG proposals for the upcoming Ottawa Global Conference. The work of the subcommittee includes: attending project planning teleconferences, sorting accepted proposals by thread, and creating conference sessions. Looking for five LDMIG volunteers to create rubrics and share new ideas for this important conference work. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to a two-year term for this subcommittee.
LDMIG Executive Committee Sponsor: Jan Cardwell
2. Conference Networking /Event Planning Subcommittee:
This subcommittee will work collaboratively to identify ways that LDMIG members might come together both formally and informally at the Global Conference to promote learning and enhance networking opportunities as well as to increase membership in LDMIG. At least four members are needed to share ideas, determine costs, plan, promote and participate in Global Conference activities. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to a two-year term for this subcommittee.
LDMIG Executive Committee Sponsor: Renee Green
3. Leadership Development Research Subcommittee
This subcommittee will work to identify topics for which research of all kinds might be conducted and to find ways to communicate collaboration opportunities between and among LDMIG members. At least five LDMIG volunteers will work together to design a system (using existing ILA resources) to network research ideas and enable research collaboration among LDMIG members. Volunteers are encouraged to commit to a two-year term for this subcommittee.
LDMIG Executive Committee Sponsors: Erik Bean and Tom Sechrest
We invite you to become more involved with your LDMIG! Please visit our Information Table or Roundtable Discussion (Leadership Development – Past, Present, and Future) from 16.45-18.15 on Thursday or participate in our LDMIG Meeting at 8-8.45 on Friday. Of course, you can also contact us via email.
We look forward to meeting you and welcome your ideas for Exploring, Energizing and Enhancing Leadership Development Across the Globe.
Dr. Reneé Green – 2018 Chair (email@example.com)
Dr. Jan Cardwell – 2019 Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org)